Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Beckiejo's Kelly Green dress for Miss Pinup Victoria


Beckiejo presented me with a beautiful pair of emerald green shoes and asked me to design a dress around them.

She wanted something that could be worn with or without a petticoat/underskirt and something 'classic'.

I decided early on that I wanted to use a medium to heavyweight stretch satin and 10 colour samples were sent to Beckiejo.

Kelly Green was decided on (although my terrible iPhone photos do not reflect the true colour of the dress) and a toile was made in calico.

I used a darted boat neck bodice that had a high neckline - front & back, but as you will notice if you scroll down to the next blog post, I liked the 'v' in the back of Sheena's wedding dress and modified Beckiejo's design for the final toile.

The fabric is 97% Polyester/3% Spandex Satin and a dream to sew. I was nervous about sewing a full circle skirt in this fabric but it was not difficult at all.

I did not line this dress, which is uncharacteristic for me, but used a neck and armhole facing. I finished off the dress with a handmade belt with diamonte vintage style buckle.

Beckiejo was Miss Va Va Voom Victoria and Miss Classic Pinup Runner Up at the 2010 Miss Pinup Australia competition and handed her 'titles' to this year's winners.

Photo credit for photo of Beckiejo wearing her Miss Pinup sashes: Lizey Weber

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails